Description: Pepsi-Cola bottling plant on South Street, circa 1932. Marvin Burnett, Sr. is on the far right, next to the newest truck; his brother Colbert Burnett is the second man from the right next to truck #9. Third man from the left is Marvin Burnett, Jr. The Durham Pepsi-Cola bottling and distribution operation began in 1905 at 114 E. Parish St. after the Burnett family was awarded the first family-owned Pepsi-Cola franchise in the world, granted by New Bern-native pharmacist & inventor of Pepsi-Cola, Caleb Bradham. The company moved east to a new building at 208 E. Parish street in 1913, but soon outgrew that location and moved to South St in 1920. Pepsi-Cola stayed there until Urban renewal and the construction of the Downtown Loop necessitated its relocation to the current US 15/501 Bypass location.
Source: Jeff Fitzgerald, Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Roxboro