|Scope and Content:
||The Martha Franck Garden Club Collection, 1956-1968, consists of membership lists, a ledger, and five scrapbooks containing photographs, programs, clippings, publications, exhibition winners, and certificates concerning the history and activities of the club. The Martha Franck Garden club was organized in 1956 with a fourfold objective: 1) to stimulate and encourage interest in gardening, 2) to aid in the beautification of Durham, 3) to aid in the protection of trees, shrubs, wildlife, and wildflowers, and 4) to foster interest in the preservation and restoration of old gardens. It was named after Mrs. Martha Franck, Garden center director of the Durham Garden Clubs. With a strong commitment to garden therapy, the Martha Franck Garden Club assisted in the creation of a fragrance garden for the blind under the direction of Martha Franck. In addition, the club was active in community garden and flower shows and seasonal events.